Hire a licensed inspector
- This is super important because there are tons of inspectors out there without a license
- If they have no license, then they have nothing to risk
- With a license a buyer can file a claim / complaint with Texas Real Estate Commission
Not All Inspectors Are On The Same Level!
There are 3 levels of an inspector license(apprentice, Real Estate, and Professional) In order to be licensed as a professional home inspector one must take the 128 hour classroom course and one of the following A. Have been actively experienced as a real estate inspector for at least 12 months and have completed 200 inspections(175 under indirect supervision and 25 under direct supervision). OR B. Have completed an additional 200 classroom hours taken in specific topics approved by commission and one of the following must be met a. 120 hours in experience training module or b. 120 hours inspecting with a licensed professional.
- Check credentials at: https://www.trec.texas.gov
- Ask for example report
- How long will it take to make report… Remember time is of the essence
- Understand no home will be without faults
- Extra add ons
- Water damage
- Check permit final on new construction especially on small builders
- Check survey and easements
- So this is super tricky… Sometimes a seller can sell a part of his land right before closing. This can put him in hot water but if they file bankruptcy what can you do? I’ll show you in my next blog….
How to Get Your Home Inspection Done Free
This is so obvious but many agents just don’t know or don’t care. All you need to do is negotiate it with the seller. You can do many things but here are some of my favs.
- Just straight ask for it during negotiations
- Ask seller to reimburse you at closing
- Ask seller to do the inspection or a pre-inspection
- Ask the realtor to pay for it or reimburse you at closing
- If the realtor is making over $5000 then he/she can do it.
- If realtor is making less then that…. ummmmm … probably not… it’s hard and I know i’ve been doing this a long time.